Stay Cool with Air Conditioning Service
When do you need air conditioning service? As you might expect, if it’s hot outside and your air conditioning is on, but you’re still hot, you probably need air conditioning service. And one way to avoid getting hot inside when it’s hot outside is to schedule regular air conditioning service calls for maintenance.
Let’s look at the situations where you are going to need air conditioning service.
- Indications that you need air conditioning service
- What to do before calling for air conditioning service
- Benefits of regular air conditioning service visits for maintenance work
Indications That You Need Air Conditioning Service The AC is on, but you aren’t feeling cool. In fact, it’s downright humid. High humidity is a sign something is wrong with your air conditioning and you need air conditioning service. In addition to keeping your house cool, your air conditioning also controls humidity levels. If it’s feeling humid inside your home, you definitely need air conditioning service.
Your air conditioning is constantly cycling on and off. This is a possible indication of a thermostat problem, a dirty or incorrect air filter, low refrigerant, a broken compressor or capacitor, or frozen evaporator coils.
If this is a problem you’ve had since you inherited the system, there’s also a possibility the AC unit is oversized for your home so it cools too quickly, shutting down and starting up too frequently. In this case, unfortunately, there’s more involved than just air conditioning service. The only way to correct an oversized AC unit is to replace it with a properly sized system.
You don’t want to delay getting air conditioning service if you have this problem. Constant cycling overworks your air conditioning system, shortening its life cycle and decreasing energy efficiency.
Reduced and insufficient air flow. This is possibly a sign of a broken blower or fan. Other potential causes include clogged air filters, low refrigerant, blocked ductwork, and/or vents blocked by furniture. One additional possibility is an aging air conditioner that is straining to provide optimum airflow. The average HVAC system typically lasts between 15 to 20 years, if properly maintained.
Leaking water. Water leaking near and around the AC unit requires immediate air conditioning service to prevent further damage to your HVAC system, but also to prevent possible damage to floors, and mold growth. You may have a clogged drain line, a rusted or damaged drain pan, a drain line disconnect, a broken condensate pump or float switch, dirty air filters, or frozen evaporator coils.
Higher than normal energy bills. If there are air leaks in your home, cool air from your AC system escapes, making the unit work harder to maintain the desired temperature and increasing energy consumption. Also check your thermostat; setting temperatures too low or running the AC unnecessarily when you aren’t home leads to higher bills (but fortunately is an easy fix that doesn’t require air conditioning service). Also, older AC units, particularly those near the end of manufacturer-specified life cycles, tend to work harder and less efficiently, resulting in higher energy costs.
One last thing, which is not directly related to air conditioning service, is insulation. Poor insulation in your home can make it harder for your AC to cool the space, leading to higher energy consumption.
What To Do Before Calling for Air Conditioning Service
If you’re having problems with your AC, there are a few simple things you can do that might help you avoid the expense of calling for air conditioning service. Try any of the following:
- Check your thermostat(s). Make sure the thermostat is on and set to cool and the temperature is set lower than the actual temperature of the room. Also check the batteries (not all thermostats have batteries, so consult the user manual). If the display is flashing or doesn’t respond to how you try to program it, it is possible the thermostat is malfunctioning and requires replacement. This probably requires an air conditioning service call.
- If the AC isn’t working at all, check the circuit breaker for the AC. Usually there are separate breakers for the indoor air handler or furnace, and outdoor air conditioning units, so check both. If they are tripped, and you can’t reset them, the breakers are damaged and require replacement. Also check the disconnect box located on the outside unit, which acts in a similar way to a circuit breaker. If the disconnect is set to off, turn it back on. Examine the wired connections in the box to make sure nothing is frayed or, more seriously, burning, which is only going to result in the disconnect tripping again. If that is the case, the disconnect box requires rewiring.
- Clear obstructions. Objects that block air vents prevent air from getting into the room. Also, check for any debris that has collected around the air conditioning unit that can also restrict airflow and cause the system to overwork.
- Check/change the filter. A dirty filter impedes airflow and inhibits heat transfer.
Benefits of Regular Air Conditioning Service
One certain way to avoid emergency calls for air conditioning service is to obtain a yearly air conditioning service visit for maintenance. It’s like your grandmother used to say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
At a yearly air conditioning service call, technicians will thoroughly inspect all parts of your system and ensure they are in good working order and operating at optimum efficiency. Air conditioning maintenance includes:
- Testing all components, cleaning and replacing parts as necessary
- Lubricating any moving parts that require it
- Cleaning and/or replacing air filter(s)
- Checking vent system and air intake grilles, removing any debris or blockages to ensure efficient air flow
- Inspecting air blower for proper operation and placement (a dirty and/or improperly positioned air blower can drop HVAC system efficiency by as much as 15%)
- Checking refrigerant level, refilling if needed
- Cleaning coils and drain lines
- Ensuring thermostats are operating properly
Ongaro & Sons for Professional Air Conditioning Service
Ongaro & Sons is a licensed state contractor with fully insured, qualified, and professional technicians to provide premium and affordable air conditioning service. Our 100% guarantee ensures your complete satisfaction.
Contact Ongaro & Sons or call us at 707-419-3135 today if you need air conditioning service. Let’s discuss a regular air conditioning service maintenance plan to avoid any costly emergency problems. We look forward to discussing your needs, and to providing air conditioning service that keeps you comfortable.